I’m currently unhappy with the way this post looks so I’m trying to clean it up. Don’t be surprised if it’s edited 10-15 times throughout the day. The numbers in this post were also done at level 70 before WOTLK so your mileage may vary.
Part 1 introduced Demonology and Metamorphosis while this part will focus more on spell rotations and show actual DPS numbers from my end. I’ll also be going over stats, when to use Metamorphosis to maximize its use and listing a generic macro to waste as little time as possible.
Here are my current stats during the tests:
- 1009 Spellpower – Includes Fel Armor and Demonic Knowledge buffs.
- 17.06% Crit – Includes Demonic Tactics and Master Firestone buff.
**No push to use trinkets were activated during rotations.**
Attempt #1 – Metamorphosis before DoTs
Exact Rotation: Demonic Empowerment, Metamorphosis, CoA, Corruption, Immolate, Incinerate X times, refresh DoTs, repeat.
- 1008.5 DPS overall.
- 296.3 DPS from my Felguard, accounting for 29.4% of the total damage.
Attempt #2 - DoTs before Metamorphosis
Exact Rotation: Demonic Empowerment, CoA, Corruption, Immolate, Metamorphosis, Incinerate X times, refresh DoTs, repeat.
- Averaged below 1k but spiked in the end between 1006-1029 DPS.
- 289.0 DPS from my Felguard, accounting for 27.8% of the total damage.
I tried the same 2 rotations again but using Shadowbolt instead of Incinerate.
Attempt #3 – Same as attempt 1 but using Shadowbolt
- 968.0 DPS overall.
- 279.0 DPS from my Felguard, accounting for 27.7% of the total damage.
Attempt #4 – Same as attempt 2 but using Shadowbolt.
- 965 DPS overall.
- 285 DPS fro my Felguard, accounting for 29.3% of the total damage.
So overall, you will hit a higher DPS using Incinerate with it’s shorter cast time (2.5 instead of 3.0) and boost in damage from Immolate being active over using Shadowbolt. It also doesn’t really seem to matter when Metamorphosis is popped. Using it before you apply DoTs gives a very slight increase in DPS but not enough to cause concern. It’s also worth noting that the Felguard was accounting for almost 30% of my DPS in every attempt.
Just for haha’s, here is the DPS meter from only using melee with Metamorphosis using a Master Firestone weapon buff.
- 306.4 DPS overall.
- 181.4 DPS from my Felguard, accounting for 59% of the total damage.
Look at the drop in the Felguards DPS! With a very low chance of Demonic Empathy proccing, he dropped by over 100 DPS. During the 30 second Metamorphosis phase, Shadow Cleave can be used 4 times total which accounted for 50% of my damage.
White melee damage came in second right? Wrong.
Master Firestone procced 5 times accounting for 25.7% of my damage while my white melee damages 14 attacks came in with 24.2%. Firestone does more damage than my melee in my 51 point talent. Ouch.
To make things fair, I used Immolation Aura this time around and my DPS increased to 817.4 with Immolation Aura causing 82.4% of the total damage done. Immolation is a huge boost in damage but can only be casted once during Metamorphosis with its 30 second cooldown.
- The current Hit cap is 16% for casters. Unless you put points in to Cataclysm (Destruction) for a 3% discount, you’ll need a total of 202 Hit Rating. Keep in mind, Cataclysm only affects Destruction spells (Immolate, Incinerate, Shadowbolt) so still aim for 16% for the sake of Curses and Corruption.
- After Hit Rating, you’ll want to balance Spellpower with Crit Rating (putting a priority on Spellpower). Crit Rating is much more important this time around with the addition of Demonic Empathy and Demonic Pact & will effect Improved Shadowbolt if you take it at 80. I’m still not a fan of Haste.
- 1 Spellpower = 0.57 Attack Power for your Felguard.
With Metamorphosis having a short duration, you want to micromanage your time wisely. Using this macro will pop your trinket, activate Metamorphosis and begin casting Incinerate immediately, wasting no time at all. This favors DoT’ing first and then using Meta for burst damage but you can customize it to fit your playstyle. Just replace the Icon with whatever trinket you normally push to use. *EDIT* Now that Demonic Empowerment doesn’t trigger a GCD, I threw that in to the macro as well.
/use Icon of the Silver Crescent
/cast Demonic Empowerment
/cast Incinerate(Rank 2)
You can also replace Incinerate with “/cast Immolation Aura” if you’d like an easy access spell to pop when you pull a bunch of crap.